2019: NDLEA Lagos airport arrests 101 suspected drug traffickers, seized 377.801kg of illicit drugs

0
90
Garba Ahmadu, NDLEA Lagos airport commander

The renewed efforts by the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency NDLEA, to bring to the barest drug trafficking in and out of the country through the nation’s airport has recorded a huge success at the Murtala Mohammad International airport, MMIA.


In 2019, the command in MMIA arrested 101 suspected drug traffickers, 87 males and 14 females with a total seizures/cases of 76.


At a news conference in Lagos, the NDLEA Commander, Garba Ahmadu said in terms of percentage, 86.14% is attributed to the males while the remaining 13.86% representing the females.


He said there was increase in number of arrest in 2019 compared to 2018 of 93 persons.


“The record of arrest in the year under review indicates that there is increase in the number of persons arrested from 93 persons last year (2018) to 101 persons this year showing 8.6% increase”.


Also, the number of seizures/cases recorded in the year under review has also increased to 76 seizures from 73 in the previous year, showing an increase of 4.11%”.

Summary of the drug seized shown that cocaine accounted for 9.03% of total drugs seized, heroin 5.75%, cannabis sativa 44.71%, methamphetamine 24.93%, ephedrine 7.45% and other psychotropic substances 8.13%.


“Cocaine 34.109, Heroin 21.72, cannabis sativa 168.922, methamphetamine 94.18, Ephedrine 28.14, psychotropic substances 31.99kg ( Tramadol and Diazepam) 30.450”.


The total kilograms of drug seized according yo Ahmadu was 377.801 as against 5377.125kg recorded in 2018 showing an annual decrease of 92.97%.”

There mode of concealment include bag and baggage packing, ingestion and anal insertion, baggage was 80% while the others were 14%”.

He noted that the frequently flown airlines by traffickers in 2019 were Ethiopian and South African airways both coming in and going out.


Ahmadu explained that the agency secured 36 conviction while others were still in court, adding that it also received 42 male deportees for drug related issues.


He promised the officers of the agency would not relax on their oars in ensuring that illicit drug trafficking through the MMIA was reduced to the barest.


The commander also emphasized that training and retraining of its officers have been yielding positive results and this would be sustained this year.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here